Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#2 Pencil

So it's back to school for me! I officially started graduate school on Monday. There are 35 people in the M.A. Marketing Communications program and I am the only American...which actually shocked the head of the department because last years program had 10 Americans. I have met some wonderful people from all over the world....Germany, Austria, Thailand, Japan, Brazil, Spain, Croatia, India, Italy, Greece, Denmark!! I am going to love having friends from all over the world, it provides a great international perspective on marketing and also a great world prospective. I am excited to learn about all of their different cultures and create some wonderful memories with them. I have been very busy this week with orientation (usually about 8 hours a day) so I haven't had much time to explore other areas other than around my flat and around my school. I feel very comfortable with the transportation system...very similar to Chicago's...although the buses come about every 4 or 5 minutes, which is a nice change from the often 15-20 minutes in Chicago.



One topic of conversation I have enjoyed with my classmates is discussing the difference between the University systems in our home countries, and all of the people I have spoken with are very surprised by the lack of security in American higher education institutions. At Westminster we must swipe our i.d card to get past front security as well as when we exit, this is also true with my apartment building. They were all very surprised that very few universities in the states didn't have that type of security system...I guess I was too. I never really thought about it but at many schools I have toured/attended (remember I attended 3 different ones! haha) there was no way to account for where students were, with the exception of some dorm/housing facilities. Maybe the states can learn a thing or two from International Universities...just something I noticed. I am LOVING the food here...grocery stores are awesome and try to provide as such local and organic options as possible! They also put weird things on sandwiches...like a prawn, tomato, and mayo sandwich...eeeewwwwww! I am adjusting well and am excited to get rolling with my studies. Thanks for following me, I hope to keep things interesting. Let me know if they get boring, I can always spice it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment